Gethsemane Lutheran Church Administrator Position Description
Job Title: Administrator
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Position Status: Non-exempt, hourly; average of 30 hours/week
Schedule: Consistent 4-hour shifts three days per week during business hours; three Sunday mornings a month; remaining hours to be negotiated
Compensation: $21/hour; 132 hours PTO and 54 holiday hours annually
To apply: Email a resume, a cover letter, and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gethsemane Lutheran Church is a community engaged in worship, study, service, and fun that equips us to share God’s love and hope with joy and compassion. Church staff support that vision by working with members, visitors, and other partners to deepen connections among each other and to grow the congregation’s witness and impact, especially in downtown Seattle.
The role of the Administrator is to assist the pastoral staff, the offsite bookkeeper, and the congregation’s lay leaders with administrative functions required to operate effectively.
- College graduate or equivalent related experience
- Advanced computer skills; significant expertise with MS Office and desktop publishing
- Familiarity with or openness to learn MailChimp, Facebook, Google Apps, and Tithe.ly
- Demonstrated communication skills (written and oral; phone, email, and in person)
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a culturally diverse population
- Demonstrated organizational and data-management skills
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to ask for help or clarification
- Desire to participate in a collaborative work environment and to be an independent worker
- Eligibility to become a Notary Public
- Proficiency in financial record-keeping
- Familiarity with religious communities, especially Christian congregations
- Understanding of and commitment to social justice and cultural humility
- Conversational Spanish
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide administrative support to the pastors and to lay leaders, as needed.
- Prepare weekly bulletins, slides, and worship materials for congregation; communicate instructions, materials, and schedules to leaders.
- Run audio/visual for Sunday worship; train and schedule volunteers for Sundays off.
- Prepare materials for special events, annual congregation meeting, and stewardship activities by producing materials and communications to participants.
- Maintain an income log and prepare deposits.
- Record donor contributions and acknowledge donations.
- Manage accounts payable and receivable in collaboration with offsite bookkeeper and congregation treasurer.
- Process timesheets and prepare payroll documentation for offsite bookkeeper.
- Assist with electronic communications (updates to web, facebook, and eNews).
- Field email and mail communications and respond or file as appropriate.
- Coordinate and review communication with visitors for appropriate follow-up.
- Maintain database (Tithe.ly) and MailChimp lists of members, friends, and donors for communications and subscriptions.
- Maintain church files, Parish Register book, and notary journal.
- Purchase and maintain supplies for office, building needs, and special events.
- Assist with “In the City for Good” Endowment Committee’s grant application process.
- Assist with Immigration Accompaniment program as needed.
- Additional tasks as mutually determined with supervisor.
- Receive and welcome visitors, members, technicians/service providers, and deliveries.
- Receive and track donations from building users, coordinating space usage agreements.
- Communicate regularly with building users about shared space, scheduled meetings, procedures, and needs.
- Assist with occasional set-up/clean-up as needed.
- Work collaboratively to assess and develop building use policies and promote building use.
- Work with Condo Association to review and negotiate contracts for service providers.
- Manage the temperature control set points and lighting timers for the building.
- Assist with troubleshooting issues related to phone/internet, printer, building access, etc.
- Maintain accurate and thorough records of building access and distribute materials according to office policies.
- Work with Lead Pastor to delegate facility management tasks.
Gethsemane Lutheran Church is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.